- The commonest reason for not being able to fit a coil is if there is any possibility that you may be pregnant.
- To exclude pregnancy you MUST fall into ONE of the following groups:
- You have not had sexual intercourse since your last period; OR
- You are currently using a consistent and reliable method of contraception - this does NOT include condoms but DOES include the pill or injection; OR
- You are within seven days of the first day of your last period.
- If you are attending for a coil change, please ensure that you have not had unprotected sexual intercourse in the preceding 7 days.
- If you are attending for a first coil fit and you are not on a consistent and reliable method of contraception (as above), please ensure you have not had unprotected sex for the preceding 21 days.
The appointment will last 30 minutes. Please bring a urine sample with you to this appointment. If, for any reason, you are unable to make the appointment, please ring as early as possible to let us know. Please note that due to the high demand for appointments in this clinic, if you fail to attend your appointment, we may not be able to offer another appointment at Greenway Community Practice.
Coil Duration of use:
Mirena Coil New Guidance
The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health has recently changed the guidelines on how long the Mirena Coil can be used as a contraceptive.
If you have had the Mirena fitted under the age of 45 and are using it for contraception only (and not as a component of HRT), you can now use it for 6 years. This brings the UK in line with other countries who have done this for some time.
If you have had the Mirena fitted over the age of 45 and are using it for contraception only (and not as a component of HRT) the guidance has not changed - it can be left in until age 55.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.