Medication advice

Fit notes

Travel Vaccinations

Quit smoking


Emergency contraception


We have a practice midwife who works here on a part-time basis. She works with our pregnant patients to the very highest standard.

You must self-refer to the midwife before you see her. The midwife will then contact you to make your first booking appointment following the referral (usually before 12 weeks). You do not need to see your GP as the midwife will inform us.

To Contact the Maternity Booking Service and to self-refer for an appointment please use the contact details below. 



Telephone: 0117 414 6743

Any urgent matters when the midwife is unavailable here at the surgery will be directed to the midwife hub at Southmead Health Centre or the Southmead Maternity Unit at Southmead Hospital.

If you would like to contact a midwife about an appointment or queries please call either of the numbers below:

  • 0117 9084684 (Southmead Health Centre)
  • 0117 9598939 (Greenway Community Practice)
  • 0117 414 6924 or 0117 4146925 (Southmead Hospital, Antenatal Clinic)

Emergency contraception

Emergency contraception is used if you have had unprotected sex and you do not wish to become pregnant. There are a multiple options available, however they must be taken as soon as possible up to 5 days after having unprotected sex. Emergency contraception should not be used instead of your usual method of contraception.

Emergency contraception can be used if you have:

  • had unprotected sex without using contraception
  • had sex and the contraception has failed

There are 3 types of emergency contraception available to women:

  • The Morning After Pill (levonelle)
  • Ulipristal acetate pill (ellaOne)
  • The intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD)

You can get emergency contraception from:

  • Most pharmacies
  • Your GP surgery (you will need to make an appointment if you choose this option)
  • Community contraceptive clinics
  • GUM clinics
  • Sexual health clinics
  • Some young people services

Find a Clinic Near You

For more information on emergency contraception please visit the links below:

Medication advice

Your first point of call for any queries or advice regarding medication should be your local pharmacy. They have highly trained pharmacist’s which can help you regarding your medication.

Your pharmacist may recommend you speak to your GP.

In this case, please call the surgery and you will be offered a telephone consultation. The GP will discuss your questions with you.

You can also visit the website below for information on different medicines and drugs. This website offers comprehensive information about medicines, including known possible side effects, interactions and dosages. You can also find your nearest pharmacy via this website.

Fit notes

For absences of 7 days or less, employers are responsible for providing and completion of self certification forms for members of their staff. Your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill.

If you’re off work sick for more than seven days, your employer will usually ask you to provide proof that you’ve been ill. They will normally ask for a sick note from your GP. Sick notes may also be called a medical certificate or a doctor’s note.

The Doctor will give a sick note if you are going to be absent from work for more than 5 working days. You will need to make an appointment with your GP and come into surgery. If you are unable to leave your home, a telephone consultation will be offered.

(The seven days includes days that you don’t normally work. When you work out how long you’ve been off sick, you should include weekends and bank holidays.)

Travel Vaccinations

We regret that we no longer offer all vaccinations for travel. We are only able to offer Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Hepatitis A and Typhoid which are free to NHS patients. We do not provide prescriptions for anti malarials or private vaccinations.

If you require travel vaccinations we request that you refer to this website with regards to the countries you are travelling to.

Please print out the page stating the vaccinations you require and hand in to reception with your contact details and make an appointment with a nurse.

Please try and do this at least 8 weeks before you are due to travel.

The nurse will review your form and may contact you to cancel the appointment if you are up to date with the immunisations required or if we cannot provide the vaccinations you require.

If you require private vaccinations such as Yellow Fever or Rabies we regret we are no longer able to offer them and would direct you towards one of the private clinics below.

You are able to purchase antimalarials online through the Nomad website (see below) some of which require you to have a consultation and prescription from Nomad.

Alternatively we would recommend the following private clinics:

Quit smoking

This is a service developed for smokers who wish to quit smoking. This service provides free expert advice, support and encouragement to help you to stop smoking for good.

We offer free one-to-one advice and support along with stop smoking medicines, which are available for the cost of a prescription.Your adviser will tell you about nicotine replacement therapy and products along with other stop smoking medicines.

They will recommend which product or combination of products that will give you the best result.

How to book an appointment

Either come to reception or call us and speak to a receptionist. They can book you in at your earliest convenience on the days available. For your first appointment you will need a double appointment. And from then on, it will be one single appointment each week.

For any more information on different services available to help you, please visit the links below:


Greenway Community Practice is keen to identify and support our patients who are Carers. Even if you are caring for someone who is not registered with this Practice we would still like to offer you support.

 Are you a Carer?

Carers are people who, without payment, provide help and support to a family member, friend or neighbour who cannot manage on their own due to physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse or frailty brought on by old age.

Caring roles can include administering medication, lifting and handling, personal or emotional care. Carers should not be confused with paid care workers, care assistants or with volunteer care workers.

A “Young Carer” is defined as a person under the age of 18, who carries out significant caring tasks and by so doing, shoulders a level of responsibility for another person which is inappropriate for their age.

If you think you are a Carer please let your GP; Practice Nurse;  Receptionist or Carla Westcott the Community Liaison.

Web address for people wanting to know about Lasting Power of Attorney –

Below are some useful contact details. For more information you can click on the button below or pick up a Carers Leaflet from Reception.

The Carers’ Support Centre

Carers Line: 0117 965 2200 open 10am-1pm Mon-Sat
Carers support provides information advice services focussed on supporting carers.

Bristol City Council Health & Social Care

Care Direct: 0117 922 2700
Care direct provides information, advice, carers assessments and may deliver care and support services.

Well Aware
call: 0808 808 5252
Well aware provides information on health, well being and community resources.


Everyone has days when they are not well. If you have diabetes, being unwell can affect your blood glucose control so it is important that you know how to manage this. The following information leaflets contain help and advice:

Keeping Safe With Insulin Therapy

Type 2 Diabetes – What to do when you are ill

Type 1 Diabetes – What to do when you are ill 

Type 2 Diabetes and Steroid Tablets